After new battery install I took Vanessa for a small camping trip along the South coast of Aruba.
First day I sailed from Surfside to Pos Chiquito, upwind about 20 km SE. Wind 20 knots with gusting 25. Half the time without jib and reefed main two points.
Second day took us to Malmok, winds 25 SE with gusts of 28knots, mostly sailed with double reefed main, without jib.
Third day I took Vanessa back home.... well... tried to.
First day:
Rigging her up on Surfside beach:
Easy in the water, timed the high tide at 1400hrs so she went in without scraping:
The wind was gusting terribly already. Here no jib and just one reef in main. Changed that after 1 mile upwind to two reefs.
At Pos Chiquito I found a good anchor spot and turned on the anchor alert to show the girls I was not going to drift to Panama that night.
A messy household. No worries.
Second day:
Waking up early after some rain squals:
Nothing beats reading about sailing when on a sailboat. Good thing I read it because this was the last time I saw this magazine. See next post.
First time using the jetboil. Great stuff. Nice coffee.
One straight downwind tack of about 10 miles followed by another 8 miles close hauled tack:
It got me here in about three hours:
That is where my girls joined me in a nice afternoon sail trip along the cliffs of Malmok. Easy breeze, no heeling...
This girl has sailed quite a bit and knows more about sailing than I know.
Getting ready for the night again:
Third day:
Besides the very strong gusting during the night this place was nice and calm compared to the wavy earlier anchor spot. Early in the morning people swim here for exercise. Check lower left corner:
This is the true color of the water here:
That is the far NW point of the island:





















No comments:
Post a Comment